Fossil Hunting Excursions

Image Galleries

Fossil Links

FAQ
Trip Reports

You are here:  Forums    
Artifact and Fossil Forum

Fossil and Artifact Forum

Thanks for visiting our fossil forum! Discuss shark teeth, artifacts, and other fossils on these fossil discussion groups.

In order to post on these forums, you must be a registered member of this site. Membership is free and open to all. Use the register link and start discussing fossils with other fossil enthusiasts from all over the world.

Please try to keep your responses relevant to each thread. If you can't find a thread about what you want to discuss, feel free to create a new one!

July 7, 2010 This is the new version of the Black River Fossils forum. If you can't log in and you used to be able to, please register again. During the conversion from the old version to the new, some user accounts did not translate. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Forums

ForumForumFossilsFossilsShark TeethShark TeethSouth Carolina huntingSouth Carolina hunting
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 11/24/2008 8:39 AM

Hey guys, my husband and I like to hunt shark teeth for hobby and we were in jacksonville NC, and i know any day i could go out and find 200+ teeth in an hour just combing the beach.  It took a while to know good areas, but now hes been stationed in Beaufort SC, and we have not had any luck here so far.  I'm wondering if there actually is an places nearby to find teeth, combing the beach or digging, or am i going to have to dive if I want to find some? 

New Post
 11/30/2008 8:48 PM

Finding shark's teeth in the Beaufort area isn't hard, but the number found will depend on the time of year for some reason.  I've been able to find them on all of the area beaches in the spring and summer, including the "river" beaches, like Port Royal's.  They are harder to find in the winter here, but sand dollars become more numerous.  Keep looking - they're there, just not in large quantity.  It's a good day if you find 5 or 6, a great day if you find more than that.  Where in the Jacksonville area were you finding that many, around Scotch Bonnet out on Topsail, or up on Bogue Banks/Emerald Isle/Atlantic Beach?

New Post
 1/16/2009 8:57 AM

Grunstwife - I used to hunt the Sands at Port Royal when my gandma lived there. The city used to dredge Battery Creek and dump some spoil at the Sands. Its been about 8 yrs since I collected there, but I always found some teeth. I think the dredging has stopped though. I also suggest looking in ditches (without tresspassing, etc) and see if there is any gravel beds.

Best of luck.

DF

Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumFossilsFossilsShark TeethShark TeethSouth Carolina huntingSouth Carolina hunting

Fossils

Artifacts

Formations

Users Online
Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: Brian Kiel
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 803

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 0
Members Members: 0