Fossil Hunting Excursions

Image Galleries

Fossil Links

FAQ
Trip Reports

You are here:  Forums    
Artifact and Fossil Forum

Fossil and Artifact Forum

Thanks for visiting our fossil forum! Discuss shark teeth, artifacts, and other fossils on these fossil discussion groups.

In order to post on these forums, you must be a registered member of this site. Membership is free and open to all. Use the register link and start discussing fossils with other fossil enthusiasts from all over the world.

Please try to keep your responses relevant to each thread. If you can't find a thread about what you want to discuss, feel free to create a new one!

July 7, 2010 This is the new version of the Black River Fossils forum. If you can't log in and you used to be able to, please register again. During the conversion from the old version to the new, some user accounts did not translate. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Forums

ForumForumFossilsFossilsShark TeethShark TeethA warning to responsible fossil collectors in SCA warning to responsible fossil collectors in SC
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 3/9/2009 6:14 PM

This warning is for responsible collectors - DO NOT take a shovel with you when you go fossil collecting in any streams, creeks, or ditches in the SC Lowcountry. Another once great hunting spot has been destroyed by criminals.

I am purposely leaving out details because whoever it is that keeps making these messes needs to be caught and prosecuted.

If you are out collecting and you see someone digging a hole in a stream bank, I encourage you to contact the police. I guarantee I will because if this nonsense keeps up, fossil hunting will be outlawed around here.

New Post
 3/10/2009 11:54 AM

You think that someone would see them doing it.  Maybe they're doing it at night?  It stinks when a few folks ruin it for everyone.

As Dirty Harry might say, "Go ahead punk, Mako my day!" Kevin Wilson
New Post
 3/10/2009 3:51 PM

Yes I just saw insane damage along a ditch. I have never seen such destruction. There are always a few people that will ruin it for the rest of us !
New Post
 3/11/2009 5:51 AM

So are we part of the problem? Should we stop posting where we find things, giving directions and maps to creeks and rivers? Lets face it , their will always be idiots out there who don't give a crap about this hobby and are just in it for the $ .
New Post
 3/11/2009 10:20 AM

rivrdigr wrote
So are we part of the problem? Should we stop posting where we find things, giving directions and maps to creeks and rivers? Lets face it , their will always be idiots out there who don't give a crap about this hobby and are just in it for the $ .

I can say that I no longer give out any information what so ever to people whom I don't know real well and or trust.  There are very few people who I will take to any of my sites anymore because of the masses of idiots out there that are trashing sites and trespassing all over the place.  In the last five years I have lost on average one collecting site a year.  The one I just lost this year my family has been collecting at for OVER THIRTY YEARS.  The person whom has been kind enough to allow us access is now not allowing access to us anymore due to the community being in a uproar about people illegally parking, trespassing and the destruction of cliffs and such.  I can say first hand that the internet has been a major downfall of a lot of my collecting sites.  One place that I used to love to collect and would only see people at every so often is now an absolute mad house and there are dig holes all over in the cliffs.  It never used to be this way until some idiot put the name of the place and directions on the internet.  Some people just don’t understand that when placing names and places on the internet that MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people now know about the site and most of them don’t care if they destroy it.  The other thing that blows my mind is the number of people whom advertise on the internet where they collect when you know for a fact they are trespassing because all the spots in that area are private property and I know they do not allow collecting anymore or I know the people who own the land or maybe even I own the land.  I have been monitoring the posts of someone whom repeatedly trespasses in my area and I will eventually catch up with them and they will be placed in jail.  It’s time to ensure that our kids will have places to collect and the only way to do this is to throw the book at those whom are destroying it for the rest of us.

Carl O'cles
New Post
 3/11/2009 5:42 PM

We have the same problem on the Peace River with people creating huge scars into the sides of the banks on personal property. 

New Post
 3/12/2009 7:22 PM

We're to blame as much as anyone can be blamed for distributing information that is misused by someone else.

New Post
 3/14/2009 12:00 PM

We went out on Thursday with a friend - he said he hadn't been to a particular site in a year or so. The sides of the ditch were *totally* collapsed, dirt strewn everywhere, giant holes ... it was a mess. They had buried lots of the actual fossiliferous strata. We hadn't dug the holes, but as we were collecting, some retirees showed up and grilled us about them. After people kept showing up, we ended up leaving - we looked too guilty, even if we hadn't done anything. I wish they would find and arrest those responsible, so the rest of us can get back to collecting responsibly without worry.
New Post
 3/14/2009 12:03 PM

Interessting to see that this issue is not a uniqe Erupean problem...no matter where you go or whatever you do for a Hobby...thers Idiots and Blacksheep everywhere.

And always theres the problem  serious and concious Collectors are thrown in the same box with this

Kind of People

New Post
 3/16/2009 11:03 PM

I'm a relative newcomer to the Black River site, as well as to the Summerville area. As a hobbyist, I have enjoyed perusing the website's trip reports and forum discussions. But not this news. The accounts and images of destruction are pretty dismaying, and when I read of the decades over which collectors in this area have acted responsibly, the situation is all the more shameful.

Hint for the authorities: The perp is a low IQ low-life. If he's got a partner, look for dumb and dumber. (Sorry if that doesn't narrow the field too much.)  In the meantime, I think I'll follow the weezil's advice and park the shovel.  Rob
Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumFossilsFossilsShark TeethShark TeethA warning to responsible fossil collectors in SCA warning to responsible fossil collectors in SC

Fossils

Artifacts

Formations

Users Online
Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: Brian Kiel
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 803

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 1
Members Members: 0