Fossil Hunting Excursions

Image Galleries

Fossil Links

FAQ
Trip Reports

You are here:  Forums    
Artifact and Fossil Forum

Fossil and Artifact Forum

Thanks for visiting our fossil forum! Discuss shark teeth, artifacts, and other fossils on these fossil discussion groups.

In order to post on these forums, you must be a registered member of this site. Membership is free and open to all. Use the register link and start discussing fossils with other fossil enthusiasts from all over the world.

Please try to keep your responses relevant to each thread. If you can't find a thread about what you want to discuss, feel free to create a new one!

July 7, 2010 This is the new version of the Black River Fossils forum. If you can't log in and you used to be able to, please register again. During the conversion from the old version to the new, some user accounts did not translate. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Forums

ForumForumFossilsFossilsIdentification ...Identification ...unidentified bone fragmentunidentified bone fragment
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 7/10/2012 11:19 PM

I found this at Purse State Park recently. If it is a bone, does anyone have a guess as to what type of bone it is or what animal it's from? And, are there easy ways to tell fossil bones from modern bones? Thanks!

New Post
 7/15/2012 6:35 PM

Looks like the distral end of a leg bone.

NINJAPLEASE
New Post
 7/17/2012 6:27 AM

I think it is a small billfish vertebra. Compare it to the ones on elasmo.com>Lee Creek>Teleosts

New Post
 7/17/2012 12:27 PM

I'm not sure exactly what it is but I think it's modern. From my experience at Maryland sites fossilized bone is usually black or brown. I'm going to Purse State Park for the first time Thursday or Friday. How is it?

New Post
 7/17/2012 11:57 PM

Modified By pknut777  on 7/17/2012 11:57:42 PM

@hemipristis - thanks for the billfish vert id. I looked on elasmo and couldn't say I saw the resemblance, but I really don't yet know anything about animal bones.

@mbroch - I've been to Purse twice now recently for a total of ~9.5 hours and ~500 teeth. Many teeth you'll find there are broken. There are probably several reasons for this, but one guess I have is that the majority of teeth are sand tigers and hence are somewhat more fragile than other varieties of teeth. I know you can find a lot of interesting teeth on the Potomac, and from what I've read on this site, at Purse specifically -- but I haven't found too many "rare" teeth yet from what I can tell -- only one nice P. rutoti. Aside from that, just some largish/complete sand tigers. There's definitely a nice stretch of shoreline to walk along, but in the afternoon it can get very hot with very little respite in the form of shade while you're collecting. Weather for later this week looks a bit cooler though, so you'll probably be fine. Good luck!

New Post
 7/18/2012 10:21 AM

@pknut777 Thanks for the advice! I'm going tomorrow so hopefully I'll find something.

Happy hunting

Makayla B

New Post
 7/21/2012 7:13 AM

http://www.elasmo.com/leecreek/lc_fish/fishSp.html?tgtSp=IST_sp

Figure 3 (bottom)

Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumFossilsFossilsIdentification ...Identification ...unidentified bone fragmentunidentified bone fragment

Fossils

Artifacts

Formations

Users Online
Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: eburna
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 802

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 0
Members Members: 0